Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hospital Ministry

As an RN back home in Canada I was naturally drawn to the hospital ministry that has just begun here at YWAM Arua. This coming Friday will be the third week, and as much as there are some hurdles to cross, I believe that God wants us to be there and that He will do some amazing things through the team for both the patients and the staff.

Last Friday when we arrived, the staff were busy and did not have a lot of time to spend with us. Now, for a type A North American girl, you would likely not be surprised if I told you that this annoyed me a little bit. Surprisingly enough, even to me, I was not annoyed. I sensed God's presence and His words to my heart saying "Trust me Cheryl, you are all meant to be here because I sent you here".

We were able to spend time with some of the staff, we prayed with them and spoke truth to them from the word. This is amazing to me, because at home you would not be allowed to preach the gospel like that, and even if you were, people would not be open to hearing it. They were open and seemed touched by our willingness to share and pray with them.

After our time with the staff we walked through the ward, laying hands on and praying for patients and family members, it was awesome, the Holy Spirit was doing something BIG. We were all feeling it. I am excited to see what God will do in that ward. I should tell you that we will primarily be working on the TB ward as this is where the Arua leadership team felt this ministry needed to begin. This can be a daunting place as patients are very sick and infectious, but it is where God wants us and so with grateful hearts and masks we will enter those rooms knowing that the Holy Spirit is there doing His work through us.

Another aspect of this ministry is handing out food for patients. We have done some research and know what TB patients require the most and will do our best to provide these foods. I believe God in this area also, He knows, He will provide, He is in control.

I will be sure to keep you updated on all of the exciting things that God will do.

Blessings,
Cheryl Cook

No comments: