Monday, June 21, 2010

Introducing......



Hi there! I would like to introduce myself to you, my name is Cheryl Cook and I have come to Arua from Brockville, Ontario, Canada for the CDTS. The young girl in the picture (yes, we are both young, but one is much younger than the other!!)is my daughter, Mackenzie. Mackenzie has joined me here and will do her studies through homeschooling curriculum which I will be needing much prayer for....just putting that out there for anyone who may feel led. I won't bore you with my life story, but I will tell you that since I was a young child, I have had a heart for Africa. My heart for Africa, and my love of Christ is what led me here to Arua to take the CDTS. I have been asked to update the Arua blog once weekly as part of my community responsibility here, and I have cheerfully accepted the challenge. I hope that these posts will give you a glimpse into our world, and perhaps inspire some of you to take this journey of discovery with God as I have.

I feel that it is an important thing to mention, especially to those who are perhaps deciding whether or not to embark on a journey such as this, that all of the staff are so welcoming and supportive. Not once since I arrived here, have I felt alone or without someone to talk to. As you can imagine, life in Arua is a little bit different from my life in Canada, and I feel that I can be open about the challenges that I have faced and will certainly continue to face as the 6 months go on. For this support and encouragement, I am truly thankful.

Now about the school. In total there are 15 of us here as CDTS students, we are all different, and all have something God given to offer. Of the 15, there are 4 deaf students, it is a real blessing for all of us hearing to learn some sign language and they have all been very gracious.

Last week was our first week going out and serving in our chosen ministry. I have naturally gravitated to the hospital ministry as I am an RN at home but I hope also to be involved with the prison ministry if time allows. I will post more detailed info about each ministry on another post.

For now I will end. Please know that again, I will do my very best to convey important information as well as allowing you all to experience a little bit of what we are experiencing here in Arua.

Blessings,

Cheryl Cook

No comments: